Responsibility of this role includes the accurate costing of new and existing products and the successful identification and execution of value analysis and value engineering principles. This will include investigating the most effective design, assembly and production methods to promote the best, most cost efficient design to maximise profit, whilst maintaining quality that exceeds our customer’s expectation.
- Ensure the accurate costing for new products, design changes and/or improvements by estimating the material used, process time and overheads. Where required provide the purchasing team with costing information to assist with negotiations.
- Participate in product concept design reviews to ensure the most production efficient designs are considered from project outset and compile initial costings for commercial consideration.
- Working with the team of production engineers, our sub-contractors and in-house teams optimise designs based on manufacturing and material capabilities.
- Where identified through lean activities or liaison with purchasing, production and sub-contractors provide input into the redesign or upgrade of existing products to reduce cost or improve production performance whilst maintaining required quality standards
- Participe in Engineer Change Request reviews to ensure correct and cost efficient solutions are adopted.
- Assist the design engineers, production engineers and sub-contractors and, when required, modify CAD data/drawings in line with in-house quality procedures.
- Participe in lean events assisting with the develop of best practices, routines and solutions to improve production rates and quality of output
- Maintain technical knowledge and new production concepts to ensure continual professional development.
Experience and Qualifications:
Experience of costing products/processes
- Good knowledge of sheet metals and cast iron and related manufacturing processes and material limitations
- Experience of NPD from design concept through to end of product life
- Experience of VA / VE in a relevant discipline
- Proficient in the use of Solid Edge or other recognised CAD software
- Experience of raising works and routing documentation
- Experience of root cause analysis, FMEA / risk analysis / Value Stream Mapping and 8D would be beneficial
- Ability to demonstrate previous VA / VE project participation and outcomes
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office packages and Solid Edge to intermediate level
- HND / HNC or equivalent in an Engineering discipline would be advantageous, although previous work experience would be considered